Saturday, May 15, 2010

beginnings of a memorial

(Just laid out so you can see the beginnings. The quarter square triangles are the only parts that are done.)
This is the beginnings of a "Memorial to a Bridesmaid Dress" The dress is the solid green on the outside of the seashell print. The fabric in the center is a really lovely silk I found that's very close to the color of the bridesmaid dress one of my sister in laws wore. The green is the dress I and my other sister in law wore.
To say we weren't exactly happy about the whole thing is somewhat of an understatement. MIL decided to do a 50th anniversary vow renewal with the full gown, tux, bridesmaid, and groomsmen attire for every one. Then she picked not exactly flattering dresses for the three of us. We're not exactly ... how shall we say... spring chicks anymore. And two of us aren't exactly skinny anymore either. There were several other issues involved that we'll just ignore.
I threatened, after it was over, to turn my dress into memorial pillows. The dress got shoved in the closet after we got home and mostly ignored. Then a couple of weeks before I went to the quilt show I bought the newest issue of "Quilter's World." In it is a pattern for a wall hanging called "Summer Shimmer." It is totally perfect for "Memorial to a Bridesmaid Dress"!!
I'm going to have to get that fancy new steam iron out and steam that poly into submission though. It doesn't want to iron into nice creases.

No comments: